If you want to host a Disney Plus watch party, the streaming service has started rolling out the new GroupWatch feature in select markets around the world.
UK based viewers, the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand can now access the new GroupWatch feature of Disney Plus. This allows friends and family to watch the streams simultaneously and control playback by pausing, rewinding and fast forwarding the stream for the entire group.
If you’re looking to do it yourself, we’ve got a step-by-step guide below. Additionally, if the service is not yet available in your market, we have instructions on how to use GroupWatch on Disney + from overseas.
You can check out our other guide for watch Disney Plus in 4K.
How to start a GroupWatch on Disney +
First and foremost, everyone you want to watch Disney + with must be signed up for and signed into the streaming service on the device they’re using. You can register on the Disney + website for £ 7.99 / US $ 7.99 per month, or £ 79.90 / $ 79.99 per year.
Once done, here’s all you need to do:
- On the Disney + website or mobile app, select the movie / series you want to watch and click on the group icon
- Once you are on the GroupWatch page, click the plus icon to invite people
- Copy the link and send to those you want to join your watch party. You can invite up to six different people
- When all members are on the same GroupWatch page, click “Start Feed”
Additionally, GroupWatch can only be launched from the Disney + website or mobile app. However, once you’re in the group, you can switch to a smart TV or streaming device by clicking the group icon again on the show or movie you are watching.
If you’re based in a country that doesn’t offer GroupWatch, you can access it using a VPN.
VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) allow users to forward their IP addresses, which means you can browse the internet as if you were in another country. There are many options on the market, but in our experience, the most reliable, reliable, and affordable VPNs are NordVPN and ExpressVPN.
To access Disney + GroupWatch from abroad, simply follow these steps:
- Connect to a server in UK, US, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand on your VPN
- Open Disney + and log in normally using your UK-based account
- You will now be able to access another country’s version of Disney Plus, which includes the GroupWatch feature
For more information, see our selections of best VPNs for Disney Plus.
How to Chat with GroupWatch on Disney +
Unfortunately, Disney + does not offer an integrated chat service alongside GroupWatch. Viewers can react to the content with six different emojis on Disney +, but that’s about it.
If you want to chat freely – or start an audio / video chat – then you’ll need to use third-party software. You have several options to choose from – Discord, Google meet, Messenger, WhatsApp or Skype. If you are using a PC, you can do this by simply opening it in the browser and running it alongside the stream. On mobile, the app version should work fine with Disney +.
Organize a night before on Disney + using Teleparty
If you want to have a built-in chat box with your streaming friends, there is another way to have a Disney + wake up party. Teleparty is a new take on Netflix Party, a third-party software for Chrome and Microsoft Edge users that allows viewers to simultaneously watch TV shows and movies while controlling playback and having a text chat window alongside.
If you want start a teleparty on Disney +, here are the basic instructions you should know:
- Head toward netflixparty.com and select ‘Install Teleparty’
- This will take you to your browser’s extension page – select “Add to Chrome / Microsoft Edge”
- You will now see a red TP in your list of extensions – pin the extension to your toolbar
- Head to Disney + and click on the extension
- Start the party and choose if you want to control the playback controls on your own
- Copy the URL and send it to those you want to join the watch party. They must click on the link and select the red ‘TP’ extension to join
- You should now see your friends in the chat window for the watch party
Teleparty is also available on Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu – although, like Disney + GroupWatch, users must all have an account with the streaming service. In addition, this extension is not available on mobiles or tablets.