Sheffield City Council has approved the process of creating new heritage sites in South Yorkshire and has already received over 80 nominations.
Members of the public can nominate any historic place in their area that is significant to them or their community. According to the local heritage listing website, “All types of heritage assets are eligible for nomination, including buildings, monuments, landscapes and designed places; these all add to the distinctive character and historical value of an area like South Yorkshire.”
Although the number of nominations is close to 100, there are nine favorites who will most certainly make the list.
Read more: New rules as England Heritage opens 60 sites
Attercliffe Public Baths (Built in 1879)
These were once used as public baths and are located on Attercliffe Road. The building bears a Lower Don Valley Historic Trail plaque which reads: “The Attercliffe Baths built in 1879, provided both bathing and washing facilities for the area at a time when baths at the house were unknown.”
The baths were supplied by Sheffield Corporation. Although Historic England included swimming pools in its selection advice for sports and recreation buildings, the provision of baths here was as much about the health and well-being of local residents as it was about recreation.
Attercliffe Public Library (Built in 1894)
The old Attercliffe Public Library is located on Attercliffe Road and the building bears a blue Lower Don Valley plaque which reads “Attercliffe Library, Leeds Road. Attercliffe Library opened in 1894 in response to local public demand and closed in 1986.”
As well as lending books, it was one of the first places in Sheffield to display job listings. The library closed in 1986. It is now used as a venue by the Lounge Coffee Bar & Cafe.
Cocker Brothers carburizing furnace
The Cocker Brothers spinning mill was founded on the site in the first half of the 19th century and was part of the family’s wider industrial undertakings, including another nearby site on Blonk Street. It is an early example of an integrated steelworks, containing furnaces for the transformation and refining of steel, and workshops for the manufacture of files, wires, needles, hackles, pins and springs hairsprings.
The premises changed hands several times during the 20th century when they were known as Perseverance Steel Works and later Sentinel Steel Works. After sitting unused for decades, the site was redeveloped as a pocket park in 2010.
Daniel Doncaster Steelworks Carburizing Furnaces
The remains of a well stratified and preserved kilns and industrial deposits. The place has a large amount of industrial deposits, associated with the old Daniel Doncaster factory which was founded in the first half of the 19th century.
Daniel Doncaster developed the site from farmland in the 1830s, with later phases of expansion adding to the extent and production of the site in the mid and late 19th century, bringing the total number of kilns of cementing on the site at five by 1872.
In the early 20th century, works included offices, steel and iron warehouses, converter furnaces, coke and charcoal stores, smelters, stables and cottages (back to back ).
The workings were cleared in the mid-20th century, leaving only one furnace, and the site developed as a research laboratory for the British Iron and Steel Association. These buildings were later occupied by Midland Bank, later HSBC, then demolished in 2019.
Loxley Cemetery (built in 1787)
This one carries centuries of history. Loxley Graveyard dates back to the late 18th century, with the first recorded burial in 1806. It is the graveyard of Loxley Chapel (or Church as it is sometimes called), which was built in 1787. At the Originally the church was Anglican and known as Loxley Congregational Chapel, but it was leased to Protestant (or Independent) Dissenters in 1798, and they later purchased the building and graveyard.
The cemetery surrounds the chapel on three sides and contains over 4,000 burial plots; burials in family plots may still take place there. It contains 14 war graves recognized by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, as well as at least 22 victims of the Sheffield flood in 1864.
The families buried in the plots come from all over Sheffield as the chapel was a large and important center of independent worship in the past, it could accommodate up to 1000 worshippers. The church closed in 1993 and was sold privately; the building has deteriorated to a ruinous state over the years and the cemetery has become seriously overgrown with almost no monuments visible as of early 2021.
Marshall’s Steelworks Carburizing Furnaces
The well-preserved remains of three kilns were excavated and archaeologically recorded in 1996-1999, including one stone and two brick cementing kilns associated with the mid-18th century Marshall Steelworks. The excavation of the confirmed stone oven chimney dates from the end of the 18th century.
Following archaeological fieldwork, the area was reburied using inert sand. Protective casings and gabions were built over the stone cementation kiln before it was kept on display and to ensure its protection during the construction works.
An area of unreclaimed ground to the west of the furnaces was also left undisturbed and has the potential to contain remains and associated deposits of Marshall’s Steelworks. The preserved archeology area is now located in a courtyard bordered on three sides by the Riverside East building, with the remains of the stone kiln located under glass paving.
Samuel Fox & Co office building and mills
Original office building and two mills from the works of Samuel Fox & Co from the 1850s-60s. The office building was built in 1864 and still houses the boardroom of what is now Liberty Specialty Steels. Two mills behind him were built in the 1850s, the north mill for making umbrella frames and springs, the south mill for wire drawing.
Tinsley Carnegie Library
The former Carnegie Library, Tinsley, opened in June 1905 and served as a branch library until 1985 when the library moved to another building in Tinsley. The building was more recently used as the center of the roundabout, but is now unused and condemned. The interior could not be assessed.
When it was built, Tinsley was a village in Rotherham – it was transferred to the city of Sheffield in 1912.
Tinsley Council School War Memorial
It is a memorial to the First World War (1914-1918). It is a simple stone obelisk and a plinth resting on a three-stepped square base, in a square frame. The monument stands in a small garden within the grounds of the old school.
It is accessed through a new gate on Bawtry Road. The inscription on the plinth reads: IN THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN ALWAYS HONORED MEMORY/ OF ALL BOYS/ WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY ATTENDED TINSLEY COUNCIL SCHOOL/ AND SUBSEQUENTLY FALL/ INTO THE GREAT WAR. 1914-1918.
The inscription on the first step of the base below reads: WE DIED FOR ENGLAND. YOU FOR ENGLAND LIVE.
The monument lists 22 names, 11 on each of the two sides, including James Knighton. BA, Assist.Master. The lowest step indicates the stonemasons were Fell & Co, Fitzwilliam Rd, Rotherham
Nominations are still ongoing and several more sites may well make the list, but Yorkshire Live understands that these 9 are the first.
To submit your own nominations, click here
What do you think of these sites? Tell us in the comments below?